Historical Monuments in Burgas
Its creation is associated with modern urban planning of the city from the late 19th century and the early 20th century. This square was used as a market place. In 1934 in the center of the square was erected a tall pillar with three lighting that gives its present name – “Troika”. Nowadays the square is often the scene of various city festivals and fairs. It is a great place for people to meet and one of the places where there is free Wi-fi.
The monument of the Unknown Soldier was dedicated to the soldiers and officers from the Burgas area who gave their lives for the freedom and independence of Bulgaria in the Serbian-Bulgarian War (1885), the Balkan War (1912-1913) and World War I (1915-1918). It was placed in 1934 in front of the building of the 24th Black Sea Infantry Regiment. In 1939, the monument was moved to the city centre, on “Mara Gidik” Str. where it remained hidden until 1990’s. On an initiative of the war veteran organisations it was rescued and restored in front of the garrison club building. On 6 May 2005, in honour of the Bulgarian Army Day, the monument was given a new life.
In front of the monument there are annual celebrations on the National Holiday of Bulgaria – 3 March. This memorial is one of the most important ones to the Burgas citizens and wreaths are laid on different occasions honouring the memory of those Russian liberators who perished for our freedom.
The Russian soldiers, who gave their lives for Bulgaria’s freedom, are admired examples to all our compatriots. Russia’s role in the political and social life of Bulgaria after the Liberation was controversial especially after the communist occupational forces of the Red Army.
The monument of the Petya Dubarova was sculpted from bronze by the sculptor Radostin Damaskov and was raised in 2010 to commemorate the poet who will always stay 18. It’s near the White water fountain in the Sea Garden, symbolically placed near the monument of Hristo Fotev. The three-metre bronze monument shows Petya Dubarova at full height, facing the sea.
The cultural figures of Bulgaria have always had a large, well-deserved spot-light in the spiritual life of Bulgaria and Burgas. One of the most talented Bulgarian artists were born in Burgas and left a bright trace in the cultural heritage of Bulgaria.
The Pantheon in the Sea Garden was built in 1981 as a monument commemorating the perished antifascists. It is one of the symbolic monuments of Burgas. Until the political changes in 1989 there was an “eternal fire” burning in its central part and the building was guarded by military men who kept a non-stop guard.
Alexander S. Pushkin (1799-1837) was a Russian poet and a writer who is one of the first Great Russian poets and the forefather of contemporary Russian literature. Many of his works were considered true masterpieces by critics; some of the most beautiful works in world literature. Among his most famous works are “Ruslan and Lyudmila”, “Eugene Onegin”, “Feast in Times of Plague” which have become world classics.
The Bulgarian national revival writers are our nation’s pride and they have always served as a moral example for all of us. They were the ideologists behind the revival of the Bulgarian spirit – teachers, writers, clergymen, monks, revolutionaries, military and many others.
Soviet Army Monuments in Bulgaria were built in larger cities throughout the country. The statue of a single soldier is always called “Alyosha”. The monument of the Soviet Army in Bulgaria, better known as the “Alyosha” was built in 1953 and is dedicated to World War II. In Burgas this is of a Russian soldier with a raised left arm. Its height is around 18 m which makes it extremely impressive.
St Anastasia Island is located in the Burgas Bay in the Black Sea. It is a volcanic rock island, 12 meters high, and its area is almost 9 decres. Between 1959 and 1990 it was known as Bolshevik Island. It is surrounded by mystery and there are hundreds of legends and stories about treasures and sea pirates.
The Armenian genocide was deliberate, systematically carried out by the Ottoman Empire during World War I and a little afterwards over the Armenian population. It is characterised with mass slaughter and forced mass deportation of over 1.5 million Armenians, carried out by the new Turkish authorities in the period 1915-1916.