Temples in Burgas
The earliest data of the “Assumption of Virgin Mary” existence goes back to 15th century. The church which is part of a monastery, is located on the St. Anastasia Island. Throughout the years, the monastery has been burned down a few times and has been pillaged by pirates. It is suggested that the mural paintings date back to 14th century. The church is part of the unique atmosphere and romantic beauty of St. Anastasia Island.
The cathedral “St. St Kiril & Metodii” is the biggest, oldest and one of the most beautiful Orthodox Churches in the city of Burgas. It was built during the period 1895-1907.
The “St. Virgin Mary” church is the oldest church in Burgas built in 1840-1860. Patron-saint of the church is the Holy Mother Virgin Mary, the most honoured saint among Orthodox Christians. The church building is a basilica. It houses icons, painted by monks in the Holy Mountain of Athos. In 1927-1928 the two towers of the church were built and three impressive bells were put in one of them. After World War II, the church was pronounced a monument of culture.
The Eastern Catholic church is part of the impressive building of the French Boarding School for Girls on Ivan Vazov Blvd. It was built in 1918 according to the design of two architects – the Italian Ricardo Toscani and Svetoslav Slavov. The first priest – Father Grigoriy, together with the French Consul, provided the funds for the construction. The building is in the Neo-catholic style, with strict proportions between the decorative architectural details. Since 1960’s the building has been used as a hospital.
The “Saint Pimen Zografski” Church was finished in 2011. It celebrates the day of its saint-patron on 3rd November. It’s one of the most beautiful and magnificent churches in Bulgaria. A stone from the Holy Mountain, brought by His Excellency the Abbot of the Bulgarian Icon-painting Monastery in Athos – Archimandrite Amvrosiy, personally, was integrated in the foundations of the church.
The “St. Nikolay Miracleworker” church is the largest one in Burgas. The church will be part of a large church complex with a school, canteen and other buildings of public significance. The church is dedicated to Saint Nikolay Miracleworker – patron-saint of Burgas, defender and protector of seamen and fisherman. In Bulgaria he is honoured on St. Nikolay’s Day – 6th December, which is also the Day of Burgas.
The Armenian Apostolic and Orthodox Church “Surp Hach” is not far away of the central railway station, in the southern part of Burgas.
The patron of the church is St. Atanasii who is one of the most eminent theologians and champions of the purity of Christian faith. For such deeds, he was exalted in early Christianity as the “Great”. He is honoured by all Christians. Together with his brother, Saint Anton, they used to be blacksmiths. St. Anton and St. Atanas’s Days are celebrated as seasonal holidays – in January. The two saints are patron-saints of blacksmiths, leatherworkers, farriers and ironmongers.
The church “St. Nikolay Miracleworker” in Sarafovo was built around ten years ago paid by private funds of eminent local citizens. Patron-saint of the church is Saint Nikolay, defender and protector of seamen and fishermen, and patron-saint of Burgas. The church is famous for a curious event; in 2009 water sprung out from the church crypt, exactly before St. Nikolay’s Day. The church attendants took this as a sign of God and the water spring was solemnly sanctified. As soon as they found out what happened the local citizens started taking home the water, considered to be god’s gift.
Legends tell there was a medieval monastery, named “St. Georgi”, which was burned down in 17th-18th century. The new monastery was built in the 1990’s with donations from citizens. The monastery hill has a unique and beautiful view of the whole of Burgas.
The “St. Trinity” Church is dedicated to the symbol of Orthodox Christianity – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. It is located in the park “Izgrev”.
The church“St. Ivan Rilski” is one of the most beautiful ones in the city. It was opened on 1 April 1934. In 1951 the old wooden bell tower was replaced by a new one which is now located to the left of the church entrance. The bell tower houses four differently sized bells, the largest one of which weighs 100 kg, The iconostasis was prepared during the building process. During the sanctification of the church, a piece of the remains of St. Martyr Vakh was integrated in the Holy Throne.